Tuesday 14 June 2011

Toddlers and Tiaras Vs Beef and Banners


From:http://justcallingthecrapoutonlife.files.wordpress.com
A few weeks ago my sister and I were watching the show Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC. About half way into this program my dad comes down the stairs and looks at the TV with kinda a funny look on his face. He then points to one of the little contestants on the show and says, “this one is going to win.” My sister and I laughed and asked him what he could possibly know about beauty pageants and he said, “well it’s the exact same as cattle shows.”

For anyone who hasn’t seen this show Toddler and Tiaras, it takes you into the lives of young girls and boys that are involved in beauty pageant about a week before their big event. And although I wouldn’t say it was exactly like cattle shows, I do notice many similarities.

In these beauty pageants the little children are judged on their beauty, personality and costumes.
In cattle shows this can be a lot the same. When cattle are being judged, most judges look for how they are going to perform down the road and how they look today (beauty)
In the beauty pageant word, the contestant work hard weeks before so that they know their routine and often hire coaches to help these girls perform their best.  The show also gives you a look at the struggles parents can often have when their children get moody or not want to practice anymore.


I think this in one of the parts of the beauty parent I can relate to. Weeks before a show I try to work with my animal’s everyday so that when our big day comes they will act their best and will be easy to work with. Now as for the hiring coach’s part, I will admit I have more than once had to phone a friend in get help will an animals that had, well... an interesting personality.  But I think the moody apart is the one I know best! If you have ever tried to lead around three year old cows on a hot summer day it really isn’t the easiest and I know all about them not wanting to cooperate! Now I’m not meaning to relate three year old girls and three year old cows in a bad way, I’m just saying I can sometimes see similarities in the tantrums they may have.
And finally when the pageant comes around, these little girls are often spray tanned, have to wear makeup, fake eye lashes and fake hair.
Now although I can’t exactly remember the last time I spray tanned a cow or gave her fake eyelashes, I still have the same goal and the beauty pageant moms. At show many people will often clip the animals and add products to their hair. The goal that both the beauty pageant moms and I are trying to reach is to make the little girl, or in my case a cow, look as good as they possibly can.
My intent in this blog was not to offend beauty pageant contestants, but to give you a better idea of what cattle shows enquire and for you to hopefully get a laugh out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment