Saturday 28 May 2011

My Boys

I strongly believe in the old saying it doesn’t matter if you win or lose, it’s about how you play the game. Now me being the farm girl that I am have found a way to relate that to my life and to cows.
 For the past two years I have been showing a blue roan steer in my 4-H club. A blue roan is a calf that is a cross usually between something like Black Angus and a Shorthorn, creating a calf with a blue tinge to their hair.  When I first discovered these steers I fell in love with their colour and the amount of hair they had, I decided to show them in 4-H.

Steve Earl!

I was the first one in a long time to show a blue roan steer in my district so I have heard many comments about them. Everything form they will never be as good as a red steer to they are just big puppy dogs and have even had people worrying that it was because my steer was a blue colour, it was sick.  
Last year my first Blue Roan steer was named Steve Earl. He was the friendliest steer I every had with a very laid back personality and ended up weighing over 1400 pounds! Steve Earl has helped me learn more about clipping and fitting than any other project I had ever had. Even with his large ears and big head, I still thought he was beautiful!

John Wayne!

 My steer this year is names John Wayne and even though he doesn’t have the weight that Steve Earl had, he is very easy going and is a little more proportionate. I am very excited to see how he will do this weekend at our 4-H Show and Sale!
I have always called my two blue roan steers my boys because of how important they have been to me and all that they have taught me. But most important they have shown me that it’s not about winning, it’s about enjoying yourself and doing your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment